Thursday, July 31, 2008

Hairspray (and other movies)

Shana and I have been doing the Netflix thing now for a few weeks and we like it pretty good. Usually our queue pattern is a movie Shana likes followed by a movie I like. My latest movie is Die Hard 4. We have yet to watch it. Last night we watched Shana's movie - Hairspray (PG).

It's a musical with lots of people you'd recognize in it (John Travolta, Michelle Pfeiffer, Amanda Bynes, Queen Latifah.) The benefit I got from watching it was that Christopher Walken is in it and he's awesome. I wasn't so sure about this movie at the beginning but in the end I liked it. Probably 3 boxes of popcorn with extra butter.

Anyway, there's this line in it delivered by Queen Latifah who plays Motormouth Maybelle. Her black (African-American) son is dating a white (Caucasian) girl during the 60's - a racially unstable time in which this movie is set (didn't that part sound like a real movie critic?). Anyway, when the mom finds about them dating here's what she says:

"You'd better be prepared for a whole lot of ugly comin' at you from a never-ending parade of stupid."

Hilarious! So anyway, good movie, it's worth a rent.

Other movies we've seen recently (I have a new rating system):

Jumper (PG-13):
3 boxes of popcorn with a little extra butter. Good action. Cool concept. Good effects. In the extra stuff on the DVD the director said he tried to make an effects movie where you didn't notice the effects. He succeeded.
I'd see a sequel.




Penelope (PG): 3 boxes of popcorn. Entertaining. Kids could see it. It has a good message and is very fairy tail-ish about a girl with a pig-nose. Plus, Shana's boyfriend - James McAvoy - is in it. Apparently he's hot.




My rating system:
1 Box of popcorn - Terrible movie, don't waste your time.
2 Boxes of popcorn - Decent move. Wouldn't see it again. Watch at your own risk.
3 Boxes of popcorn - Good movie. Really enjoyed it. Worth watching.
4 Boxes of popcorn - Great movie. Everyone should see it!

The butter system: This is kind of like the "half a star" system. For instance, Jumper got 3 boxes of popcorn with a little extra butter. That means it was slightly better than 3 but not a 4. Is this lame? Probably, but I'm bored. (We're watching the end of Hairspray (again for me) - Shana fell asleep last night).

1 comments:

Marcy said...

Okay, this is too weird. My friend here at work was just watching Hairspray the other night and she was telling me about it. I saw that movie way back when it first came out, I guess in the 80s. Crazy. Now I want to watch it again. I like your new rating system. I find it hilarious that Shana fell asleep and you stayed awake during Hairspray.

Post a Comment