Thursday, January 28, 2010

Pandora

I'm in the library working on a paper. Whether I'm reading or writing I typically have music in my ears. Its usually some combination of jazz, soft instrumental, or movie soundtracks. Wordless background music that helps me think. A while back I discovered a great website called Pandora Radio. You may have used it before, I think its been out for a while. But if you haven't I'll explain. Its a streaming website that lets you pick what you want to listen to. You get to create your own radio station. When creating a station you type in the name of an artist or song that you like. For instance I'm a big fan of Need To Breathe. I entered the band into the awesomeness engine (that's my title for it) and it begins playing one of their songs. Next, it searches the database for bands like them and plays their music. Its great to get to hear new artists that I wouldn't normally get to hear and to hear other music that I like. Based off of Need To Breathe I've gotten Bebo Norman, Mat Kearney, and David Crowder.

So for studying I have two stations that I listen to. The first one I typed in John Williams (the composer who scored Star Wars, and pretty much every Steven Spielberg movie ever). So for the next several hours I get movie scores from Gladiator, Last of the Mohicans, and Schindler's List (and tons of others).

My other station is one I just created on whim that I am now listening to. I typed in Charlie Parker. Probably the greatest jazz sax player ever. The next three artists: Thelonious Monk, Sonny Stitt, and Miles Davis. So sweet. Give it a try.

0 comments:

Post a Comment