Saturday, December 19, 2009

Home Alone...AHHHH!

I feel a little like Kevin from Home Alone. Except for the part where I wished that my family disappeared. And except for the part where the bad guys try to break into my fun house of pain. I also don't have creepy neighbors that carry snow shovels and scowl frequently. I guess the only reason I feel like "the little jerk" is that I'm home alone until Christmas Eve. Shana went home with Truett and Zoe on Thursday morning. I can't go because of work. This is, by far, the busiest time of year for us at work. Where our meat department will do $32,000 in a really good week during the summer, we'll do $40k plus on the 23rd and 24th. So needless to say, there's no time off given.

I'm super jealous of Shana and Truett. Today she helped my mom host the annual "Stringer Family Christmas." Basically all of my dad's side of the family comes over. Its at least 50+ people. And we have an awesome family so its always fun. I've missed the last two after attending 29 in a row. I'm glad Shana got to go this year. She texted me some great pictures to confirm what I already knew - they had a great time! Tomorrow she gets to go to church with my parents - which is sweet. Then lunch with my bro and awesome Caitlin. Also, my friends the Watsons and Jordans will be there. AHHH... I have to be at work at 6am to place our meat and seafood orders. Seriously? They've charged me with ordering the most important orders of the year for our department. I'd rather be with my babe, baby, and friends. At least I'm getting some sweet overtime hours this week (10 so far).

Here's my work schedule for the next 4 days until I go home:
Sunday: 6am - 3pm (I think...I may get to come home early)
Monday: 10am - 10pm
Tuesday: 8pm - 8am Wednesday morning
Wednesday: 8pm - 8am Thursday morning

That's right! Two overnight shifts. How exciting. Actually, its not so bad. 12 hours with NO CUSTOMERS or PHONE CALLS! Nice. Basically all I do for 12 hours is cut rib roasts and trim and tie beef tenderloins. I bring my iPod and get to work.

Then I fly home on Thursday at 1:45pm. One of my great neighbors is giving me a ride to the airport on Christmas Eve. Speaking of great neighbors, tonight when I got home there was a plate of food on my doorstep. It was homemade mashed potatoes, broccoli and cauliflower, and honey mustard style chicken. I think the Caskey's made the delivery...there wasn't a note, but they're those kind of people that would do something fantastic like that. Actually all my neighbors are, but Adina can flat out cook. So I'm guessing she had something to do with it.

So far the Home Alone time hasn't been too bad. Its quiet. I haven't watched much TV. I've listened to a lot of preaching and music. I've read a lot too. I'm also preparing a sermon. For those of you that don't know I'm preaching at Christ Church of Metro Atlanta on Sunday the 27th. Come if you can! I'm excited about it. I haven't preached in a while so it will be fun.

I think this blog entry is a little longer than I anticipated when I started. And by "a little longer" I mean much longer. I'm typing while watching the Saints mount a comeback against the stinkin' Cowboys. I think they'll come back and win. Just sayin'.

I think that's all. I have to be back at work in about 15 minutes (7 hours...it just feels like 15 minutes since I've only been home for 45 min.). Tomorrow should be a nice afternoon off though. I'll finish my sermon and I'm pretty sure I have a nap I have to take. Good night blogland.

1 comments:

Andy Darnell said...

I know that has to be tough being away by yourself. I hate to travel because I'm lonely.

Sunday. Preaching? hmmm.

Post a Comment