Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Texas Business Trip

Back in October I had the opportunity to go to Texas on a business trip. I know I am just now posting about it because I just now realized I could send the pictures I took on my phone to my computer. Sorry for the delay, but hey better late than never right.

I have been with the Kentucky Bankers Association since July 10th, and I am still loving my job today. One of the reason I love it is all the different opportunities I get. I don't know to many Accounting Assistants who get neat opportunities like I have gotten through my work. Highlights for this year so far are: going to Texas and meeting Karl Rove at our convention.

So, you are probably wondering why I went to Texas. I went to the Texas Bankers Association for a user group meeting for some software that we all commonly use. It was a lot of fun getting to meet different people at the other associations. It was also neat to learn how they were doing things in their states. I learned a lot about the program we are using and also learned a bit about a program we were thinking about acquiring. All in all it was a really fun trip. I got to know one of my co-workers here better. That was a really neat opportunity. We stayed up late on night talking in the hotel restaurant about election stuff, and I was able to share my beliefs with her in accordance with why I am voting for (or voted for) McCain. Since then we have carried on a relationship back at home in the office. She is really neat.

Ok, so I went to Austin Texas. I sent Zach Watson a text letting him know I was in his favorite place, without even mentioning Texas. He stated something to the effect that he couldn't believe I was in the holy land. He is crazy. Although it was pretty awesome.

I stayed in downtown Austin at a Radisson. It was really nice. I love cities. I had an awesome view of the city from my room. Here are some shots.





This is the main road that runs straight into the Capital. The Texas Bankers Association is also down that way. It is seriously across the alley from the Governors mansion. They had neat stories to tell about when President Bush had been there.



This is the other side of the hotel, from the elevator. Evidently across the way on the other side of that river are tons of bats in those trees. Supposedly every night at dusk all of the bats take off at once to catch their prey. Supposedly it is pretty creepy to see. I never got a chance to see it, but it sounded cool.

We ate at a bunch of cool restaurants. We ate a few places the locals kept calling Mexican, but I am here to tell you this wasn't Mexican. Their salsa was weird, and they didn't have queso. They had something called cheese dip, but it was like what you ordered from Chili's. That ain't cheese dip or queso. It has to be white to be queso. So, I was really bummed every time we went to so called "Mexican" and there was no queso/cheese dip. Every time we went to another "Mexican" restaurant it was as if I was setting myself up, I was in denial that this state didn't know what queso/cheese dip was because I would consistently look for it and ask the waitress for it, and they would consistently look at me strangely and eventually tell me they didn't have it. SO SAD I pretty much just eat at Mexican restaurants for the cheese dip/queso. It is like chocolate to me.

Another favorite for me on this trip was having a king size bed all to myself. Don't get me wrong I love my husband and he loves me, but he would be just as excited. I also loved having breakfast brought to my room every morning. Here is a blurry picture of one of my breakfasts.



All and all it was a lot of fun. I ended up breaking my personal computer in the airport on the way home that trip. I should have taken a KBA computer, definitely learned that lesson. Just this week though the KBA fixed mine and it is home safely keeping my life in order.

Ok this post is already to long. Later

0 comments:

Post a Comment