Thursday, February 25, 2010

Phrases...

For a while I've been keeping a mental list of certain phrases that drive me crazy. Here's my list in no particular order:

1. The Plural Nameses. When referring to good people or sports players people will say stuff like, "That team has its Chipper Joneses, Brian McCanns, and John Smoltzes." (I know Smoltz doesn't play with the Braves anymore, but he's Shana's favorite) What I don't like about this is when people pluarlize people's names when there's only one of them! There's only one Chipper Jones on the Braves not many Chipper Joneses. I know what the guy is trying to say when he says, "That era in the NBA had its Michael Jordans and Magic Johnsons." But really there was just one Michael Jordan and one Magic Johnson. Drives me nuts.

2. It Is What It Is. This is the most meaningless phrase of all time. Its a cop out and its totally overused. "Man, I didn't mean to rob that bank, but you know, it is what it is." What this phrase means is that you don't want to fix what you broke so "it is what it is." Or, I don't know how to explain something or I don't think I can change something so "it is what it is." I'm sure there is an appropriate usage of this phrase, but until that divine moment happens lets try to never use it again.

3. You Know (What I'm Sayin'). This is the ultimate filler phrase. Its like using "just" when you pray. Listen to any interview, particularly a sports interview and the usage of this phrase could turn into a college drinking game like no other. (I don't condone college drinking games, especially when this phrase is used....you know what I'm sayin'?) Sometimes only half of the phrase is used, you know, like when, you know, I don't know what else to say, and you know, I get tongue tied, and you know, can't finish my sentence, you know what I'm sayin'?

4. At The End Of The Day. This phrase has no cultural or social bounds. Athletes use it. Politicians use it. And at the end of the day, some of my professors use it. I know what it means and this one more than the others actually makes sense, but at the end of the day I don't care how much sense it makes because at the end of the day I'm tired of it....you know what I'm sayin'?

5. Anywho. I'm not sure what to say for this one. Remember in the movie Zoolander when Ben Stiller and his buddies used the phrase "Oh Snap" over and over (so glad that phrase is gone). They weren't using it because it was cool. They were mocking the phrase and those who use it. If I made a movie my "Oh Snap" phrase would be "Anywho." Urban Dictionary defines anywho like this: An extremely annoying [overused] misuse of the word "anyhow." Generally used by people who think they are being clever. Enough said.

6. I'll Be Honest With You. What were you being before? You'll be honest with me now? Are you doing me a favor by telling me the actual truth?

What if Tiger Woods got up and said, hey, you know, I'll be honest with you, at the end of the day I cheated. You know, its nothing that the Mike Tysons, Mark Sanfords, and Bill Clintons haven't done before. It is what it is. Anywho, I'm gonna go now. You know what I'm sayin'?

What would you add to the list?

1 comments:

Meggan said...

Josh, this is a very funny post. :-) Jeramy hates, "I guess." I say it a lot and he hates it because it doesn't take responsibility for selecting a definite answer. It's wishy washy. I hate the phrase, "I'm gone." His family says it often AS THEY'RE LEAVING - instead of using the present progressive tense, they use the past tense which hasn't occurred yet. :-)

Post a Comment