Saturday, February 20, 2010

Tiger's Apology

I couldn't come up with a creative title for this post so I went the direct route. Anyway, I want to weigh in on something that is really of no matter to me but apparently is one of those "Where Were You When You Heard..." moments. I was in my car on my lunch break at work when I heard Tiger's apology. Then I was at home. Then I was on ESPN.com. Then CNN.com. Then FoxNews.com. Then.... You get the picture. Good thing he didn't apologize on the day of the Haitian earthquake. We might have never gotten to hear that riveting new version of "We Are the World." By riveting I mean terrible and opportunistic.

What should we think of his apology? Well, I don't know what you think, but here's what I think. I think it was fine and sincere. Was it robotic, rehearsed, and staged? Yes. A lot of people are calling it fake because of the way he sounded. First of all, have you ever heard a Tiger Woods interview? He sounds just like he did yesterday. He's not Captain Personality. In fact, the most emotion you ever see from him is on the golf course. Never behind a podium. Second, put yourself in his shoes. You are about to bear you personal laundry to the world who already knows everything that happened thanks to the tabloid media and our celebrity-worshipping society. OF COURSE YOU'LL REHEARSE. Heck, I write out and rehearse my sermons. Wouldn't I do the same for something of this magnitude. Of course you'll write out exactly what you're going to say on the most humiliating day of your life! What was he going to do? Wing it in front of 100 million people. This morning over 50,000 people had already watched it on YouTube, and that number is probably very low and doesn't include television and all of the "news" websites. If you're not much of a public speaker, which Tiger clearly isn't, you're going to sound nervous, robotic, and fake. Most people can't even put together a complete sentence on purpose. Have you ever read comments on blogs or news sites? They're horrible. Try speaking in front of cameras and reporters about something like this. There's a poll on CNN.com asking if you think Tiger was sincere. Its about 50/50. Really? This accepting, tolerant society of ours is judging a man who just took full responsibility for everything he has done. Not only that, but he explained why he thought is was ok AND why that part was wrong too. It was a little on the therapy-speak side of things, but so what? This whole speech was probably therapeutic for him. He has done everything anyone can expect of a person in his situation. Did Bill Clinton do that? How about Mark Sanford, governor of South Carolina? Did Barry Bonds do that? Did Michael Jordan do that? Did Roger Clemens, Pete Rose, or Mark McGwire do that? Not even close.

I'm not at all trying to make what Tiger did seem ok. You know me better than that. However, he didn't sin against you or me or anyone except his family and God. He didn't cheat the game. I do think he had an obligation to make a statement like this because of who he is and because he is who he is because of the game that people pay to see. However, we created him. We buy his video games, clothes, golf equipment. We drive the ratings for T.V. when he's in a tournament on Sunday leading by one stroke on the back nine. We created the idol. We gave him the money. Why should we crucify him when he falls. This is more than a mistake that he made to be sure. This isn't one of those "we're all human, everyone makes mistakes" moments. However, it doesn't involve me or you. But again, put yourselves in his shoes. He could cheat everyday of his life if he wanted to. To make it worse he has the money and the friends and the agent to make it more accessible and more private than you or I. Do I think you'd cheat if you were in his shoes? Maybe. You've never faced temptation like that. You've never had a billion dollars and women waiting throwing themselves at you when you're in line at McDonald's. Not that Tiger eats at McDonald's. I heard a sermon yesterday that had nothing to do with this but the Pastor said, "The reason you've never cheated is because you don't have the opportunity." He wasn't saying that we'd all cheat. He was saying that because of our sin nature we all have the capacity to cheat and under the right circumstances... Women won't like to read this but men (both who read this blog) know exactly what I'm talking about.

Again, don't hear/read me saying that I think what he did is tolerable or understandable or excusable. Its not. At all. Not a little. However, when a man repents, and that's what he did yesterday, and takes full responsibility for his actions, dude, let it go. He didn't sin against you anyway. If you feel personally affected by Tiger's apology, like he owes you something more, then you should go repent for idol worship.

I think that's all for now, maybe an appendix later. What do you think about it?

3 comments:

Erin said...

Excellent post! Very well said.

natalie said...

interesting thoughts, i appreciated them. i was on 'fake' side but after reading this my perspective has changed...on several things. thanks for sharing.

Meggan said...

Yes, I agree. Although I didn't hear his apology, I know it was very important for a man of his influence to make it publicly.

Post a Comment