Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The 17:18 Series.

I'd like to introduce you to maybe, just maybe, the best personal Bible study tool I've ever used. Its called the 17:18 Series.

"And when he sits on the throne of his kingdom, he shall write for himself in a book a copy of this law..." Deut. 17:18

This is a journal that is designed for you to write out the Bible. That's right. You write it out. The pages on the inside are lined pages with numbers for each verse of the chapter and book you are studying. All of the Scripture is written on the right hand pages. On the left side are blank, lined pages with the occasional highlighted word for study from the corresponding verse on the opposite page. Here's an example.










So far I've made it through the first chapter of Galatians. Its only taken a few days.

Why do I like it so much? It forces you to really read what you are writing. I can read and read and a lot of the time I don't retain all that I've read. This is very helpful to people who learn like me. I read with my eyes. Most of the time I read out loud so I'm using my ears to hear the Word. Then, as I'm reading and hearing, I'm writing. The I re-read to make my own notes. I do use some study resources to get to the bottom of certain verses and concepts that are more difficult.

Another reason I like this resource? There's no limit on how little or how much you can do per day. If you only have time to do two verses, well, do two verses. If you have time to do twenty. Do twenty. The idea, at least for me, is that I'm getting the Word on several levels and I'm also thinking deeply about what I'm reading.

Where can you get it? I got mine at Lifeway on campus. There are several websites that are carrying these. Just Google it. They're usually in the $10-$12 range.

What books of the Bible do they have....so far? Well, so far they have journals broken down this way:
Proverbs
John
Romans
Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1 & 2 Thessalonians (all one journal)
1 & 2 Timothy, Titus, Philemon, Hebrews (all one journal)
James, 1 & 2 Peter, 1,2,3 John, Jude (all one journal)

Anyway, so far this has been excellent. I recommend this for personal use, small group book studies, and family worship. If you have kids old enough to write you could take turns writing in the journal and discussing the verses. It would also be great for a husband and wife to work through together. I think Shana and I are going to work through Proverbs.

Get one. Try it and let me know what you think.

By the way, the new Tenth Avenue North album is fantastic. Its on their myspace page for free listening for those of you (like me) who are all about the free-ness and don't have anymore iTunes bucks left on your gift card.

1 comments:

Marcy said...

That sounds interesting. I might have to check it out.

Post a Comment