Sunday, May 16, 2010

Shana's Update: Pharmacy Robbery

So, tonight was a very common night. Came home from church, had lunch, and kind of relaxed around the house. I went through the Sunday paper for all my deals and made my list. Truett was down for a nap still so I thought I would run out to the CVS and Walgreen's to get my deals of the week. Well, while I was out something unbelievable happened. My second stop was the Walgreens on Frankfort near Ewing. I went into get all my deals and ended at the Pharmacy counter to get Josh's tried and true Aleve-D medicine. They keep that behind the counter now, and my husband lives off that stuff when he gets a headache. While I was finishing check out I noticed out of the corner of my eye someone approach the other counter for assistance by the other pharmacist. She (I found out later) was covered from head to toe. She was wearing black pantyhose over her face, gloves, every bit of her skin was covered. Not to mention she had an open umbrella. I remained calm (I think) and just took my stuff and walked away towards the front of the store. (I probably would have thought nothing of it, but had seen something on the news about an increase in pharmacy robberies). I saw a manager and immediately told him, "I think you are being held up at the Pharmacy." Then I booked it out of the store. I was thinking to myself, obviously if they went to the Pharmacy they want drugs, they could be crazies and if they are going to shoot up this store or hold hostages I am not going to be here for it. I ran out of the store to my car. I drove it to exit the parking lot where I could see the front door. My plan was to see what car they got in and get a license plate or see their getaway, but in case it was a crazy person I wanted to be able to get out of dodge quickly. It seemed like forever waiting for the robber to exit the building. Finally a undercover cop pulled up in a Jeep Cherokee, the robber exited and he pulled his gun on her and told her to freeze. At that point I saw that she didn't have a gun on her. I was freaked out up till that point. Afterwards, I turned around parked the car and went back in the store. I figured they would need my information and testimony as to what happened. It was pretty crazy. I was in there a while, they took my picture and my account of what happened. It was pretty cool. The detective said, it was probably because of me that the robber was caught. That made my day. I felt awesome.

While I was waiting for the detective I wondered the aisles a bit. I found some infant's ibuprofen in a different spot. It has been really hard to find with the new recall. I pulled all 3 left on the shelf to purchase. When I asked to purchase them, they gave them all to me, along with a root beer. I was super excited about that.

Well, that was my exciting tale that I will have to tell for a while. This is the second robbery that I witnessed in my life. The first was when I was in elementary school walking my dog past a convenient store near my house. They never caught that guy, but I learned almost 5 years after that in high school that it was a friend of mine who had done it.

Crazy crazy!

9 comments:

Andy said...

Wow. That's an interesting day. Glad you're alright. The most important question is... what brand of root beer?

Danielle said...

holy crap batman!

Chelsea said...

That IS so crazy! WOW!

And by the way, I have had my new Bible for a full week now and I really appreciate it. It'd nice to have one that lines up to Tristan's and one that Drew can support. Not to mention it's made for this stage in life and all the pages are still connected to the binding. It's really sweet. Thanks, y'all!

The Wades said...

WOW! That is insane! In Bible Study this morning we were talking about unintentional sins and the question was asked, if we see any form of social injustice is it a sin not to do something? Just crazy that happened to you today, I'm so glad you are ok!

the towners said...

I AM SOOOO GLAD YOU POSTED THIS!!!!! HAHAHA!!!! When I got your text, I kept checking your site to see if there were any details!!! Way to go getting free meds and a root beer!!!! LOL!!!

Marcy said...

Wow! You were the heroin of the day AND you got free stuff! What a high! Interesting stuff seems to always happen to you. I am glad that there was no violence involved!

The Shadburn Family said...

Good for you, Shana. I'd definitely keep turning in robbers for free stuff! Interesting that the robber was female...

Meggan said...

Wow, Shana! That is super crazy! I'm very glad that you had the strength of fortitude to know what to do in that situation! Only by God's grace! That's totally way awesome how they rewarded you and you have a cool story to boot!

Rachel Lundy said...

Way to go, Shana! Catching bad guys while you're catching your good deals at Walgreens!

Post a Comment