Saturday, May 22, 2010

Shana's Update: Last Lady Under the Red Umbrella.

Today is a really sad day for me. I have told many stories of the Ladies I have lived side by side with for the past two years. Our meetings under the red umbrella while all their children played on the sidewalk. For almost two years I joined them before Truett came, chatting about whatever the wind blew. Then we were all pregnant together. We all took turns helping each other out before and after we welcomed our babies into the world.

Sarah was the first to leave in December. She was the owner of the red umbrella. She left really big shoes to fill. Which haven't been filled I should add. She was a great friend. I would run down to her apartment all the time just to chat or to urgently borrow a missing ingredient. Natalie was the second to move at the beginning of this month. She is still here in Louisville, but her apartment is vacant. Her children are not running up and down the sidewalk. Then today Rachel moved. She lived directly below me. I walk outside onto my stairs and it is so quiet. I used to be able to hear the Jones family through the floors and windows. Rachel's famous quote, "I am so done," and Collins beating his drums. The Jones' let me borrow their apartment because their lease isn't up till the end of the month. Dean and Judy are going to stay in it while they visit next week. When I walk in and out of their empty apartment, I can still smell them there. Every family has a certain smell. It makes me really sad not to see any of their stuff.

I know I already said this, but it is so quiet when I walk outside. You don't realize how much your lives are intertwined until someone leaves. It was comforting to think whenever I walked outside before that most likely I was going to run into one of them, but now I don't run into them. It is quiet, no Collins butt naked at his door. There is no Lauren and Jenna picking at my chive plant, and no Isiah running up and down the sidewalk. I really will miss them and their families. We always knew this was a temporary stay and that we would all be leaving one day, but I have surprised myself with how sad I am today. Josh has been gone all day at work and then to a Manskool function. So, today is a bit of a lonely day for me.

Sarah, Natalie, and Rachel I miss you guys. I feel so privileged to have shared the past 2 years with you guys. We saw each other everyday, it is going to be a hard adjustment not to see ya'll anymore.

3 comments:

Jenn said...

i'm so sorry. One of my super close friends is moving on June 3rd and I'm dreading it....

Chelsea said...

I think it's awesome that you have built such close friendships. I'll be praying for you through this adjustment.

natalie said...

i'm not gone...we'll just be more intentional. and you know my door is always open. and this made me cry.

Post a Comment