Thursday, October 16, 2008

Homemade Sausage

I've been wanting to do this for weeks. For our anniversary/birthdays my parents got us a Kitchenaid Stand Mixer (we love it). We added on the meat grinder and sausage stuffer attachment. You know how I am. I love to experiment with new foods. So here it is. This is homemade apple cinnamon chicken sausage. Here's how I made it:

2lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast / 1lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
-I ground it at home (run through the grinder twice), you can buy it pre-ground at the store
1 Fuji or Honeycrisp Apple (grated with peel - the peel keeps the fiber and adds color)
1 Small Sweet Onion (finely diced)
I don't remember all the measurements, but the spices I used were:
-Cinnamon, Sage, Nutmeg, Thyme, Salt, Pepper
1 cup Apple Cider

Combine all the ingredients - its best to mix it by hand - then refrigerate for 2 hours minimum.
(I sauteed the onion in apple cider - let it cool - then add it to the mix)

That's it. You can then make them into patties if you don't have a way to stuff them.
I used collagen casing which is beef protein. It's cheap. You can buy it online. It lasts forever refrigerated. It's way less-gross than hog casing. It actually feels like paper - very thin paper. You can't even see it when you stuff it. After you stuff it just twist it into links, but be careful to not over fill the casing or it will burst during this part. You can cook immediately. It cooks up just like any sausage but it tastes like chicken.

We had several people over for dinner and everyone liked it. Even Shana. Chicken sausage is the way to go. It's really healthy and tastes good and you can make any kind of sausage - just use ground chicken instead of pork. I'm going to try turkey next.

1 comments:

The Shadburn Family said...

Yummy! What a neat appliance to have.

Post a Comment