Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A Great article from Voddie Baucham. This is a bit of what its like going to Southern. We've already been warned that churches won't hire grads from here because we're deemed heretical Calvinists. To say that "if you're a Calvinist you don't believe in evangelism" is about the most ridiculous, uneducated thing anyone could say and it is obviously from a misunderstanding or lack of any desire to understand the doctrines of grace (that was a super-huge-run-on-sentence). I could go on, but I'll just encourage you to read the article. It kind of sums it all up. I'm also very encrouaged that in the article when Voddie gives a list of "names," there are several people on that list - who are prominent in the SBC - who are profs here or somehow otherwise affiliated with the school.

Thanks to Brian Baise for passing this article to me via his "hump-day blog."

2 comments:

Jacob Cloer said...

Hey man. It looks like I came across this right after you posted it. I love Voddie. I knew I would love him after he walked into our youth ministry class at NGC and told us all that he didn't believe in youth ministry. I remember how mad some of the guys got then, so I know he is got to be going through it now on a much larger scale.

You know I'm not a Calvinist. And before I came to Mid America, I was more like the people that he describes in this blog. But, since I have been here the Lord has really helped me in my understanding of the doctrines of Grace and my fellow brothers in Christ who are the dreaded "C" word. We have two great professors here who are Calvinists and I love them and their classes.

I hate that this is happening in the SBC. It is such a stupid fight to be in. I really feel like it is a distraction from the enemy to get all of us away from what Jesus wants us to be doing. I'm glad that Voddie called it like it is. Thanks for posting this.

p.s. I have been a big Julia Nunes fan for a while now. I got a cd of hers and her stuff is even on iTunes now.

Josh Stringer said...

thanks for saying that. I totally agree. Its a difficult thing here. A lot of people would rather just not talk about it (which I am one), but sometimes it must be addressed when something as blatant as the John 3:16 Conference is presented. Some professors talk about it, but not many.

Post a Comment