Monday, November 9, 2009

Randomness...

I'm in the library trying to focus on this paper I have to write. I think I need to unwind a little before the creative juices start flowing. So here's a little type-barf to get it going...

I discovered a new favorite preacher this week. His name is Darrin Patrick. My pastor at Crossing, Dustin, often cites him in his bibliography on his sermon notes. So I looked him up. This guy is good. On the mornings when I have to open at work by myself, I usually take my ipod an listen to music. But I heard a message a few weeks ago by a professor here (Jim Hamilton, "the human cross reference" is my nickname for him) and he mentioned "redeeming the time." I've heard this phrase before. So I thought about time that I have and how I can make the most of it. Dude, working by myself is boring and easy - hence the ipod. So instead of listening to music I've started listening to sermons. I've done this before in the past, but its much more intentional now. Anyway, I've listened through a few series by this guy Patrick. He's good. You should check him out. He has a free podcast on iTunes from his church in St. Louis - The Journey.

I really like Candy Corn. When people make autumn trail mix they usually include nuts, m&m's, raisins, and probably candy corn. My trail mix would be candy corn only.

Today I got a text from my great friend Zach Watson. Here's what it said, "Just want 2 let u know I love u and I'm praying the Lord use u, your studying, and your family for his glory, which, of course, is your greatest possible joy." We don't see each other a lot due to the miles. We're both really busy - kids, work, school, etc... - so we don't talk as much as we'd like, but when you get a God-honoring, brother sharpening text, like that in the middle of a 5am-2pm shift at work, it just puts things in perspective. Thank you my friend. God used your obedience today to bless me. Its good to have friends who are faithful to the Lord.

I have a huge list of books that I want to read when the semester is over. It will be nice to read for pleasure one day.

When I do listen to music at work this is the band of the month...maybe of the year, for me.
Need To Breathe. They're one of those "kind-of-Christian" bands. They do have several songs that are totally God focused, but others that are just Switchfoot-ish. I don't mind a band like this as long as they are up front about it and don't try to sell their "poetic mystery person" as some allusion to God, but on secular radio its really about a girl in Texas they met on a road trip. Know what I'm saying? The real reason I like this band - the music. Look, I'm the type that when it comes to music, if I don't like that music style, it doesn't matter how good the lyrics are, I'm probably not going to go out of my way to listen. Its totally a preference thing and I'll be the first to admit that. *Note that this does not apply to corporate worship styles* What I'm saying is that I like certain types of music and I can't stand country music. It doesn't matter how often they talk about how Jesus is behind the wheel. I don't jive with the country so much. ANYWAY - this band, Need To Breathe - they are everything I like about music. A little blues. A lot southern rock. A little gospel (the music style, not the message). A little jazz. A touch of bluegrass (not the same as country). If somehow they could work in some r&b/hip hop I'd be in heaven (don't know how that would be possible). So, here are some videos and I'm done...



Gotta love the slide guitar at the end.

Darrin Patrick...not much on YouTube, but here's some good teaching on the Word. More on his website.

0 comments:

Post a Comment