Monday, November 23, 2009

Shana's Update: Giving up the books (for now)

Truett is doing amazingly well with his sleep this week. I started reading the book "The No-Cry Sleep Solution." It is packed full of ideas on how to get your babies to sleep longer, go to bed easier, and nap better. I was worried a little bit because Truett doesn't nap by the book (6 hours a day), I am lucky if he sleeps 4, but he is a good night sleeper. Which after doing my logs realized that he sleeps more at night then the books says. So, that makes me feel better. Also, seeing that he isn't fussy and doesn't seem to be exhausted all the time. I guess my baby is ok. Well, I implemented a few of the ideas from this book and Truett is sleeping longer in between feeding now at night which is great for mommy. I am now getting between 3 and 5 hours of sleep at a time, as before I was getting 1 to 3 hours. Mommy is better rested which makes daddy happy too.

You are probably wondering why I say I am giving up the books for now. Well, my gracious husband has helped point out to me that Truett has slid into my number one spot of priorities of my life right now, giving God and my husband whatever is leftover at the end of the day. This was really easy to do. Also, I have been consumed in my parenting books trying a new idea almost everyday, and what Josh, many friends, and one of my books pointed out you have to give things time. Well, I have been driving Josh crazy with no stability in this. So, I am giving up the books for the rest of the year. We are going to stay on this course and see where it takes us.

I feel a huge burden to make sure we raise Truett right and so I consume myself with books. I think my friends have probably even gotten sick of hanging out with me and talking to me because all I ever talk about is Truett and ask parenting questions. Well, this is me asking forgiveness and asking for your help to stop this. There is more to me then being a mom, I am a child of God (number 1) and Josh's wife (number 2). I need to cultivate those a little bit more.

P.S. Dean and Judy are on there way to Louisville as we speak, SO EXCITED!

2 comments:

Marcy said...

You can do it, Shana! I know it will be hard for you, but you can do it! :)

natalie said...

we all love books...and the help they are. but the reality is, NO ONE knows truett better than you. you are his mommy, walk in the spirit, and trust your mommy instincts. happy thanksgiving!

Post a Comment