Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Driscoll on Noah

I'm very slowly reading through Religion Saves + Nine Other Misconceptions by Mark Driscoll. I only read this when I have a shred of reading-free-time. Which is usually when/where most men do their reading. I just started chapter two: "Humor." If you know anything about Mark Driscoll you know that he's pretty hilarious... well, depending on who you ask. Some people still call him the "cussing pastor." I won't defend that, but he's sense repented. Anyway, so this chapter on humor.... he basically goes through the Canon and shows all the parts that he thinks are funny thereby justifying his use of humor in the pulpit...or stage, or stool, or whatever he preaches from. His take on Noah is hilarious.

From Genesis 9:20-21
"Noah is obviously a camping redneck, because only a camping redneck would make his own liquor and pass out naked in his tent wearing nothing but a John Deere ball cap. For all we know, his tent might have been made of blue tarps, and he may have dozed off while singing country songs about the hillbilly trinity of dogs, trucks, and cornbread."

I never thought of Noah in that way. I'm guessing you haven't either. But now just picture your kid's Noah Ship with Noah on the top with a green John Deer hat and a pair of Uncle Jesse overalls. Nice.

0 comments:

Post a Comment