Monday, January 5, 2009

Israel. To support or not to support? That is the question.

Here's a question I've been batting around for the past week or so. As a Christian should I support Israel simply because they're Israel? I am inclined to think not. However, I'm not convinced of this. I haven't had time to research the question properly. We refer to Israel as "the Holy Land." I understand why we do this. The major events of our faith took place there, although there is nothing intrinsically "holy" about the land. However, the land is different than the current governmental state that occupies that land. I think some of this bombing that Israel is responsible for is rather horrific. I know Hamas is a terrorist group, but Israel is bombing schools and other civilian targets. I'm pretty sure this isn't the same situation when God told the Israelites to destroy ALL of Jericho. I just don't see it in scripture where Israel should still be considered God's chosen nation. Again, I haven't done my homework on this and am not close-fisted about it. I know some of you out there must have an opinion on this. Leave a comment and let me know what you think. It would be greatly appreciated.

2 comments:

Bryan said...

joshua stringer...you are sounding like quite the a-millenialist...


it seems to me (and I could be wrong as well) that the special relationship God had with Israel in the OT was to prepare a people for the coming of the Messiah. That messiah came (jesus). Paul talks about in Romans 9 there being a spiritual israel as the true israel.

To me, the Incarnation changes everything. In Christ we have our inheritance. We don't need a piece of land to claim (including america). We now have the One who has made everything by His word as our inheritance...not the gaza strip

Chris Jordan said...

This is an issue I have grappled with for years. Though I am not dogmatic on this issue, the following having some food for thought.

Thoughts by John Piper on the issue

Thoughts by John MacArthur

I personally have found great help in a book titled, Future Israel: Why Christian Anti-Judaism Must Be Challenged by Barry Horner. Dr. Horner has a website here worth looking at.

Post a Comment