Sunday, January 18, 2009

To Kill A Mockingbird

Last night Shana and I watched To Kill A Mockingbird. We do the Netflix thing and we're kind of doing a system of "one new movie then one old movie." I hadn't seen the movie in a really long time. It's easily one of the best movies of all time and one of my favorites. There was one part of the movie I had forgotten about that helped me gain a little insight concerning the unbelievable hype over the inauguration. I get it that millions of people (the majority of the country) voted for Obama because they are ready for change. I get it. I do wish we could have gotten someone who isn't going to have a homosexual choir and band play for the parade. I wish we could have a president who wasn't going to have an openly gay "pastor" involved in one of the events. All that aside, there is a part of the inauguration that I better understand. Its the racial side. This is where To Kill A Mockingbird comes in.

The movie is set in the 1930's and blacks were only allowed to sit in the balcony (unless you were the one on trial). There is a scene in the movie where Atticus Finch loses the trial. He is the last one leave the courtroom - except for those in the balcony. Atticus' childern, Scout and Jim, are sitting in the balcony as well. Atticus did a remarkable job defending a black man (Jim) accused of raping a white girl. This of course was unheard of for the time. A white lawyer giving his best to defend a black man. As Atticus is packing his briefcase, those in the balcony begin to silently stand. At one point they are all standing except for Scout. One man says, "Scout, Scout, stand up." So she stands, a little confused. Then Atticus begins walking down the aisle to leave the room and the man says, "Your father is passing by." Then it hit me. This is why there is so much excitement over Obama - at least for the black community. He truly does represent change. No matter what he stands for he represents change and victory for a race of people who have been treated so badly in this country. Many of those people who were alive during the 50's and 60's are still alive today and this is true moment of vindication for them.

I am glad that we have a black man as president. I just wish it could have happened sooner. Obama does represent change for the African-American race. But he also represents change and hope for much of the country who are inclusive liberals who will truly change the face of this country. If I were a black man I would have a difficult time not voting for Obama. It must be difficult for so many Chrisitan black people to decide what is most important. Sure, its easy for me to say, "Choose your principles and convictions over your race." But as was said in the movie last night, "Try puttin' someone else's skin on and walkin' around in it for a while."

I think I have this fear that so many people will be let down by this man. When the shine wears off, all the balloons are popped, the bands stop playing, and the confetti is trashed, what will President Obama do? There is so much hype and excitement that I'm afraid of a let down. I think the country is in a very fragile state right now and I'm not sure we know what we've gotten ourselves into. Obama is not the Messiah and America is not God's Kingdom and Americans are not God's Children with exclusive rights to God. For this I am thankful. No matter what happens - good (which is certainly possible) or bad - God still sits as Creator of the Universe and Jesus is still the King of Kings. Not the President of Presidents.

2 comments:

The Wades said...

Well said. I like it.

The Shadburn Family said...

I agree. He is still just a man- not our God- and he cannot and will not fix all of our problems.

He does represent change and it is historic that a non-white-looking man was elected. Let's see what happens....

Post a Comment