Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Go Mike Vick...

Those were the words yelled by then Falcons announcer Jeff Hullinger as Michael Vick ran 60 something yards for a touchdown in overtime to beat the Vikings. That was a great sports moment for me. Another good moment for me was at a Falcons v. Cardinals game when I saw Vick make his longest run from scrimmage live. Pretty cool.

A bad sports moment for me was two years ago when Vick was on trial for running a dog fighting ring. It was the first time in my life I was embarrassed to be from Atlanta. The people from Atlanta were embarrassing in their support for a man who committed a felony and admitted to it. The Vick-supporters who called in to sports radio shows were some of the most ignorant people I'd ever witnessed speak in my life. They were saying stuff like, "Jesus would forgive him." "Stop holdin' back the black man." Stuff like that ALL THE TIME. I knew Jesus would forgive him and I certainly didn't care that he was black. He was my team's QB and he broke the law. Badly. He should be tried in court and be put in jail. I was glad he didn't get off because of his celebrity. It was also the first time in my life I didn't watch the Falcons or much of the NFL for a whole season.

Anyway, Michael Vick was released from Leavenworth prison today to his new jail. His home. He will work for $10/hour at a construction job for a few months and attempt to get reinstated by the NFL. I wasn't a Vick-worshipper like so many in Atlanta. He did change the culture in the city. Really. It was remarkable. Kind of like Calipari has done at UK to use a Kentucky comparison. He was the highest paid football player in NFL history and for good reason. He made the city and the team more money than any player ever had. Its just economics. Then he flushed the money and the city down the toilet.

Now the Falcons have Matt Ryan and have moved on. So what happens to Vick now? I think he should be given a chance to play again if he's physically able. Who knows, he may have bulked up so much in prision that he can't play as well anymore. He may have gotten even more crazy in there. Who knows? But, he's "paid his debt to society" in our legal system. Just like the law says. When anyone gets out of prison they are free. He won't be able to vote because he's a felon, and there are other restrictions. But not being allowed to work isn't one of them. He's a football player and that's about all he knows how to do I guess. So, as long as the commissioner deems him repentant and able to play, I imagine that some team will sign him to a contract and give him a chance to play. He's only 29. He should be given a chance to play. PETA will protest and fans will boo him. That's the consequences of what he's done. But, he's done what he needs to do and whether we agree with any thing that has happened or not, he's a free man. He can work a job. That means he can play. If he can play. I kinda hope he can. It'd be a great story.

0 comments:

Post a Comment