Sunday, August 2, 2009

THE Bacon Burger Dog

I have long been a fan of the Cosby Show. Its probably my favorite show of all time. I have seasons one and two on DVD (my birthday is soon and I don't have season three - wink, wink). Anyway, there is a food of legend on the Cosby Show. Cliff and Theo often talk of the legendary and mysterious "Bacon Burger Dog." What is this mysterious food? Is it a sandwich like a burger? Or is it something like a hot dog? Click here for one of my favorite episode clips when Theo gets one. (I would have posted the video but its disabled) I've seen several different interpretations of this food online. None of them looked that good or easy to make or eat. So I decided to come up with my own creation.

I've been wanting to make this for a while but hadn't had the time until today. Here's how it goes:
-1 pound ground beef (chuck is best for burgers and burger dogs)
-About a 1/2 cup of finely diced sweet onion
-3 slices cooked crispy bacon chopped and cooled to room temperature (chop it before you cook it - it makes it easier).
-1 good handful of your favorite shredded cheese - I used cheddar. You can use more or less.
-Season the beef with a little kosher salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. I didn't measure but I'd say it was somewhere in the neighborhood of a teaspoon of each.
Next mix it all together and chill in the fridge for about an hour. Or in the freezer for 15 min. *Tip - use a glass or aluminum bowl. It gets cold faster.I used my Kitchen Aid stand mixer with the sausage stuffer attachment. [ *Important* Put all the parts, especially the auger, in the freezer for 15 min. to chill them. Warm parts and warm meat make for a mushy mess.] I'm using a collagen casing. They're cheap, made from beef, durable, and most importantly not as gross as the other options. Plus you use them when they're dry and they last in the fridge forever. Well, maybe not forever, but a long time. Here's my rig. I have the sheet pan with aluminum foil to catch the casing as it fills up.Here's what they look like after they are stuffed. I made a mistake by cutting them before they were set. I should have twisted them to seal the casing and let them set for a couple of hours in the fridge, but hey, I was hungry.
After 10 minutes on the grill they're finished and ready to eat. (I grill the hot dog bun too - yum, toasty).

This is THE BACON BURGER DOG.
Its the burger that eats like a hot dog. Now, I don't know if this is what Bill Cosby had in mind when they came up with the idea, but this is my take on the Cosby food of legend. I recommend trying it. Its was really tasty. The bacon was still crispy in the middle an the onions were crunchy. Next time I think I'd add a little Worcestershire Sauce to keep it moist and a sharper cheddar cheese. Anyway, good luck! And don't forget - Be Brave in the Kitchen!

1 comments:

The Shadburn Family said...

That sounds yummy. What a neat idea

Post a Comment