Monday, July 27, 2009

Shana's Update: Date night & Tomatoes

I had a really good weekend. Josh and I had a real date night on Friday night. He didn't have to work all day Friday, so he had a refreshing day of leisure. When I got home from work (officially working half days now) we rested so my swelling could calm down a bit. Then we went to see the new Harry Potter movie. I was really excited for this movie to come out, but right now I am still scratching my head as to what I thought about it.

Definitely was a little disappointment with the ending, in the book the castle battle scene is way bigger. I think I might listen to the last book again on my IPOD to know what is missing again. I know when I saw the last movie I was scratching my head to with some of the pieces they left out. I guess the one thing this movie series has going for it is that they release the films so far apart that people forget what is missing, or it might just be my dumb brain. I will say this though. People are still taking their little kids to see these Harry Potter movies and I think they are nutz. This one and the last one are a lot darker and every time we have seen really small children in the theaters. This time there was a little boy behind us actually ducking down behind our seats and crawling into his mother's lap because he was scared. Crazy!

After our movie we did some window shopping and went to Target to get a few things that we needed still in getting ready for Baby Stringer. We purchased a Cargo bag to go on top of our CRV so that we can haul more stuff on road trips since folding down seats won't be an option anymore. We are pretty excited to try this out. We also purchased a trash can (i know exciting) and a funky hat that was a couple bucks for fun for Josh. I think he looks super cute in it. This picture is a bit dark, but you can see he is wearing it on our date night Friday.



After all that we went to dinner at Mimi's Cafe. We reflected about how in the old days (I know we have only been married 5 years) we used to do things like this all the time. It was a nice evening reflecting on where we had been in life and how God had grown us together and as individuals. Mimi's cafe was alright, I have said this before, I just don't enjoy eating out as well anymore because my husband is an awesome, creative home-chef. It was a relatively cheap meal out, 35 w/tip. But for $35 I was thinking man I could have had filet mignon cooked to perfection at home for this price. No worries folks I still cook, but Josh just knows how to cook meat really good. That is probably the most expensive thing we buy for special occasions.

Sunday I did my first attempt at canning. Judy walked me through it all on the phone, thanks again. But here is my final product.



I am super proud that it actually worked. It took a ton of tomatoes though to fill this 1 quart jar, 14 tomatoes. That is a lot of stinking tomatoes, but our earth box is mass producing so maybe I will get another one out of it. These tomatoes taste so good too. They are heirlooms. We'll use this jar probably in the winter sometime to make chili or something like that. We use lots of tomato things in our cooking, now we just have organic home grown tomatoes.

Well, that is all for today. Talk to ya'll later

3 comments:

Gina said...

Andy and I went to see Harry Potter on Saturday. I agree on all that you are saying about the movie. I remember very little about the 6th and 7th books and need to read them both again, but I do remember the big battle scene that was left out. And there was a kid behind us in the theater too, probably not too much older than Tabitha--crazy! I did not enjoy this movie as much as I have the other ones. Guess we'll wait forever for the last 2 to come out. :)

Marcy said...

I did feel sad that they left out the fight scene. There was one other scene that was completely different from the book. The rest they just condensed a lot of pieces from the book into one. I agree that the last few books and the last few movies have been too old for little kids. People just don't think. I purposefully did not read the books leading up to this movie because I didn't want to spend the entire time comparing!

I love the hat! Congrats on canning. I've never tried, but we don't have any red tomatoes anyway.

TheTowners said...

Look at you canning!!!! So proud of you buddy! what a little Martha Steward you have become. Maybe next time you visit, you can teach me a thing or two about canning!!! And Josh can teach me how to cook meat. I have NO idea what I'm doing when it comes to meat!

Post a Comment