Thursday, July 2, 2009

Shana's Update: JULY HALLELUJAH-Food!!

Work has picked up a bunch, which I am so glad about. I was getting a little bored and really didn't like wasting all my time on the internet. You feel kind of groggy at the end of the day when your brain doesn't do anything, it is like the same feeling when you watch TV all day one day. It seriously rots your brain out. Does anybody else know what I am talking about?

July is here, HALLELUJAH!! Already feeling the relaxing effects of it. Josh and I have trimmed tons of fat in our schedules (well fat means stuff that isn't necessary, and more like just taking a break from necessary thing I guess). This good. This gives us good time to get ready for baby, physically and mentally. We watched a movie last night, Defiance. It was pretty good. We like real historic movies based on truth, has all the more impact. I am sure Josh will do his critic thing on it later. We also splurged, since it is a new month, and ate out. I know, we were excited to experience a local restaurant for a change. We ordered take out from the Frankfort Beer Depot. It is kind of like a bar, and not the best looking place to want to go eat, but we heard they had amazing food. I really only eat two things when it comes to bbq restaurants, pulled chicken and smoked turkey. Has anybody ever eaten at Sonny's? OK, I know that is poor mans bbq, but I LOVE THAT PLACE!! So, wish there was one here because that is where we would have went last night for way less money. Gosh I want some of that right now.

Here is my review on the Frankfort Beer Depot. It was pretty good food. Josh ordered a 1/2 rack of rib plate that came with 2 sides and texas toast. Well they forgot the texas toast. That made me mad obviously. Josh got 2 sides and since my belly is getting really big my stomach is getting smaller. I just ordered a pulled chicken bbq sandwich and had a few bites of his sides. They had really good onion rings, and good spicy green beans. Josh is a wiz when it comes to flavors and he could spout off what was in them, I have no clue. I just know they tasted good. He is way better at flavors then I am. They were really different then anything I had ever had before, really good. Josh loved them. I liked the bbq sauce too, but Josh said it was very vinegary. See I had no clue, I just knew it tasted good. So all in all it was pretty good. I was in the mood for some bbq when I got home from work and was in no mood to cook because the kitchen was still a mess from the night befores dinner. So I only had energy to either clean or cook.

So you might be wondering if I am not good with flavors does Josh do all the cooking in our house. Actually, no. I do most of the cooking. I think Josh is way better at flare when it comes to preparing meals. I am good with recipes and things I have done over and over again to perfect them. I know this is essential to cooking, but I don't really like tasting things in the cooking process until they are done. Don't know why, but just don't. Josh is great at sauces, gravies, spices, and stuff like that because he has a tongue for flavors. I guess you could say I don't. I can make a mean honey mustard and peanut sauce for chicken wraps, but see those are both recipes that I found. So, really they aren't mine. Most of the time when Josh cooks it is all stuff he thinks up in his head. Now, when you talk about throwing pasta and casseroles together, now I can do that. I can also cook pretty efficiently on a little budget; Josh is getting better at it. So, all-in-all Josh and I definitely even each other out in the kitchen when it comes to our strengths and weaknesses. I will say one thing, it has been awesome that he learned how to cut meat and what is a good cut of meat because he preps my meats almost all the time if I need it cut a certain way. He is the best at steaks too, pretty much prefer his steaks over any steakhouse I have ever been too. Which leads me to my birthday coming up. The past couple years he has made me really good steak for my birthday, and I think that is what I want again this year. Last year he made me filet mignon with goat cheese and a sweet glaze sauce, it was awesome. So, here is my request babe for dinner on my birthday. Something with a filet please :) The way he cooks we could never go to a restaurant and get that kind of food on our budget, so it is a treat when he cooks at home for way less then eating out prices. A lot of times we tag-team cook. He will cook the meat and I prepare everything else to go with the meal. Occasionally he'll wonder in the kitchen and taste things for me and give me a pointer or too if he thinks it needs something else, remember I don't like tasting things.

I had no clue this post would turn into a post all about food and cooking, crazy. If you aren't familiar with Josh's culinary skills, he has done vlogs on it. I think at the bottom of our blog is a link to his youtube page where he has videos he has made. They are entertaining.

0 comments:

Post a Comment